What is Piriformis Syndrome?
Your piriformis muscle runs from your lower spine to the top of your thigh bone. Piriformis syndrome occurs when this muscle presses on your sciatic nerve (the nerve that goes from your spinal cord to your buttocks and down the back of each leg). This can cause pain and numbness in your lower body.
Symptoms of Piriformis Syndrome
The most common symptom of piriformis syndrome is sciatica. This term describes pain, tingling, or numbness that starts in your buttocks and runs down the back of your leg. Sciatica may start as an intense, burning pain deep in the buttocks. The pain gets worse during activities that cause the piriformis muscle to press against the sciatic nerve, such as sitting, walking up stairs, or running.
When Should I Seek Professional Help?
Talk to your doctor if any of the following are true:
- Your pain lasts longer than a few weeks.
- You have sudden, severe pain in your low back or your leg, and you have muscle weakness or numbness in your leg.
- Your pain starts after you have been injured in a traumatic event.
- You have problems controlling your bowels or bladder.
What Causes Piriformis Syndrome?
You can develop piriformis syndrome from everyday activities, such as sitting for long periods of time, climbing stairs, walking, or running. You can also develop it after a traumatic event, such as a car accident or a fall.
Common Questions Asked
- What is the likely cause of my pain?
- Do I need certain tests to confirm that my condition is piriformis syndrome?
- Is it safe for me to exercise? What kind of exercises should I do?
- Will alternative therapies such as physical therapy or massage help relieve my pain? Do I need to take any medications?
- What should I do if my pain doesn’t go away?
If you believe you have Piriformis Syndrome or any Low Back discomfort that is not getting better, Call Respire Physical Therapy at 703-671-1871 to schedule an evaluation today!
Tags: Physical Therapy, Respire Physical Therapy, Numbness and Tingling, fitness, physical therapist, health and wellness, chronic pain, Low Back Pain, chronic back pain, Natural Pain Relief, falls church, piriformis