Neck stiffness can be painful and interfere with your everyday activities. In the United States alone, 25.8% of people reported neck pain. It remains one of the top 5 most common disorders. Studies show that neck pain impacts your physical, social, and mental well being.
Common Causes of Neck Pain/Stiffness
- Cervical dysfunction
- Muscle tendon strains/sprain
- Degenerative disc disease
- Herniated disc
- Clenched Jaw
- Repetitive Neck Motion
- Poor Posture
5 Ways to Improve Neck Stiffness
- Cervical Joint Glides: Gliding your neck joints can help open your joint space and promote lubrication.
- Soft Tissue Mobilization: This helps relax your muscles and promote blood flow to the area.
- Moist Heat Pack: Heat helps alleviate pain and improve blood circulation in your neck.
- Range of Motion Exercises: Stretching can help improve your overall neck motion and flexibility.
- Cervical Traction: Traction has been shown to help increase mobility and reduce stiffness.
How Physical Therapy Can Help?
Here at Respire Physical Therapy, we can identify the exact cause of your neck stiffness. Whether it is joint stiffness, muscle tightness, poor posture, or decreased motor control, our Physical Therapists can create a rehabilitation program that is personalized for your lifestyle. If you are tired of neck stiffness limiting your life, call Respire today at 703-671-1871 to schedule an evaluation.