If you are experiencing neck stiffness or soreness, you are not alone. Neck pain is one of the most common ailments among Americans. A strong neck can help prevent impairments in other parts of your body too. In order to prevent chronic neck pain, here are simple stretches and exercises that anyone can perform.
4 Stretches to Loosen Your Neck Muscles
Upper Trapezius Stretch
- Begin in a seated position. Place your hand on your head and pull directly to the side to tilt your head. Do not rotate your head.
Levator Scapulae Stretch
- Begin in a seated position. Place one hand on your head, look downward and pull down and in as if you are looking at your opposite hip.
- Sitting up straight, side bend your head to one side and then rotate your head up towards the ceiling.
Neck Extension Stretch
- Place hands on sternum. Look down at hands. Apply skin drag down and then look up to the ceiling.
Neck Strengthening Exercises
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together.
- While maintaining good posture, sit neutrally while looking straight ahead. Draw your head directly backwards, keeping your gaze parallel to the floor. Return to neutral, bringing your chin back.
At Respire Physical Therapy, our expert physical therapists will help you get rid of your neck pain, through specific strengthening and stretching exercises. Call (703) 671-1871 today to learn more!